Friday, January 18, 2008

Still going Strong...

There are a lot of things in our household we are continuing to do (greenwise) that I haven't written about in a while. So I thought I would give you all a quick recap about what we do or use on a daily basis to help with our green.
  • We still have the extra water bottle in our toilet tanks to keep extra water from filling the tank.
  • I try my darndest to not use hot water to rinse stuff or in general when Cold water would be just as good.
  • We keep out Thermostat at 59 when we are not at home and 63 only right before bed. Of course the thermostat is timed to run only when we are at home.
  • I avoid buying products that have excessive packaging.
  • Trying harder to incorporate more organic items into our diets.
  • I'm shopping more at the Goodwill when we need clothes (minus your undergarments!)
  • I'm still cleaning with Vinegar, Baking Soda and other Earth friendly cleaning options.
  • I turn off the computer when its not in use and will turn off the surge protector as well. Same goes for my son's video game systems and the TV they are attached too.
  • I try to lump together my errands so I don't waste extra gas driving.
  • I have been buying & selling my books thru BookMooch.
  • I read daily other people's green blogs or green sites like TreeHugger.
  • Of course all our light bulbs are CFL bulbs.
  • Naturally I wash a lot of clothes in cold water.
  • My laundry detergent I've switched to Seventh Generation which has no phosphates, but I did see that Costco was now carrying a new detergent that also has no phosphates. I'll let you know how that goes.
  • I'm also buying only eco-happy shampoo.
  • We hardly eat out, especially if it involves take out containers that can't decompose.
  • I've been ridding my house of extra "stuff" by donating or selling via Craigslist.
  • We watch TV a lot less now.
  • I don't use dryer sheets anymore, I have some Seventh Generation fabric softener or when I'm out I use just straight vinegar.
  • Noah doesn't take juice boxes in his lunch and no more Zip loc baggies!
  • We haven't had paper towels for about 4 months now--cloth only.
  • I use Recycled toilet paper as much as possible.
  • We compost!
  • I hang dry most of my laundry.
  • I purchase Green Power thru my local electric company (wind power is what PSE purchases here in WA)
  • Obviously I recycle everything I possibly can! (do I really need to mention that one?!)

I'm sure there are other things I can't think of right now, but thats a quick recap! Hope you are still inspired to keep your green going!

No comments: