Sunday, March 23, 2008

Microwave Popcorn

A few weeks back I had bought some regular popcorn seeds determined to make it the air popped way because its healthier and not to mention safer.
You probably remember awhile back reading about how workers at mircowave popcorn plants were damaging their lungs from the butter flavoring. Although the rest of us probably will never experience this problem, it does make you wonder about what is being put into our food and how its effecting people.
Let's not forget all the packaging that comes with mircowave popcorn.
So I set out to find a quicker and cheap way to make popcorn. I would say this recipe costs me maybe 10 cents to make it.
Thanks to Google it wasn't hard to find an easy recipe. But I was skeptical because you had to use a staple to hold the bag closed. I figured I would just watch it to be sure my microwave didn't catch on fire. (I've resuced a metal bowl before! don't ask)

Here is the recipe:

1/4 cup popcorn
2 tsp Olive Oil
Salt &/or Flavoring

One brown paper lunchsack
Stapler

Toss the popcorn with the olive oil, salt, and seasoning/salt in the paper bag. Fold the top of the bag over and staple the bag to close. Squeeze all the air out. Place the bag in the microwave and microwave on high for 2 minutes to 3 minutes, or until there are about 5 seconds between pops.

Just note that this isn't full proof. To me, there are too many un-popped popcorn when its done, but then again it is the same with other popcorn. Also listen carefully to this popcorn, it can burn very easily.

Noah and I have been sucessful with this for weeks now and its our favorite way to cook popcorn fast and with little packaging! Just be careful opening it that you don't rip the staple into your popcorn!
Still skeptical? Well, even the Alton Brown did a segment on this once on the Food Network. Click here to see that recipe.
Try it!! You'll like it. But alas no, this is not your heavy ladden buttery popcorn-this is like airpopped popcorn, but minus the machine. Remember, one & 1/4 cups of popcorn is less then 100 calories too and it'll fill you up fast.
Another great thing is you can eat this the next day. I've made it the night before to eat at work for a snack the next day. Because its not ladden down with butter like in normal mirco. popcorn, it won't get all soggy, soft or stale. Its great for kids too. noah likes it in his lunch.

Let me know your success with this recipe! We use Butter Buds which is a butter subtitute to give it a "butter" flavor, but a spray on butter would work great too, but wouldn't work if you were planning on eating it the next day.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Rachel Ann said...

popcorn is one of my favorite treats! I still make it on the stove with a little oil at the bottom of the pan...hmmmm, i think i'll have some tonight! i do think I might try your recipe though someday.