Tuesday, April 22, 2008

What I did for Earth Day today...

So at the risk of literally overwhelming you all with how many posts I've done in the past day or so, I'm going to keep this as brief as possible.
Here are all the things I did today for earth day. (and w/out sounding totally cliche these are things I do daily because everyday should be earth day! man, I can't believe I just wrote that)

  • I didn't turn on ANY lights today when I woke up.
  • I packed my lunch
  • I don't blow dry my hair, its air dry for me (ok thats how I've always done it..)
  • I wore my Green is Sexy shirt
  • Donned my Goodwill pair of Gap Jeans ($5.99 baby!)
  • Made my son wear Green in honor of earth day to which he was like, "Geez MOM!"
  • Packed Noah's lunch w/ reusable containers-we only use sandwich baggies for field trips only now a days. But once we run out of those...well...I'll have to be more creative.
  • I recycled Noah's cereal box and saved the plastic the cereal was in to use as "wax" paper later
  • I didn't let my car warm up; I never do. Its a myth that your car needs to heat up (unless you live where its sub-zero and you can't see out your front window)
  • I texted all my friend's Happy Earth Day!!
  • I took the stairs up to my floor @ work. Its exercise and no elevator using for me!
  • I made sure to have Happy Earth Day on my IM at work
  • I gave all my co-workers on my team a CFL light bulb in honor of Earth Day
  • Opened the blinds more at work to let more sunshine in
  • I turned my computer off when I left work. They don't like that, but they'll hardly notice. I personally despise that they keep all the computers on sleep mode instead of turning them off!!!!!
  • I stopped at the little Fruit/Veggie Stand on my way home--its on the way home no detours or extra miles needed and I'm supporting a local business.
  • I drove the speed limit
  • We made dinner, no eating out today.

So that was just for today. Obviously I have other times when I do more exciting earth friendly things, but I just wanted to give you a little snapshot of what you could also do on a daily basis and what little you do does make a difference. People notice.

What did you do today for Earth Day??

I think I"m also going to go plant the little Hydrangea bush my mom gave me for Easter...its probably time I do that!

2 comments:

Jennefer said...

What a great list! I have an idea for you when you run out of sandwich baggies. You can cut the cereal bags down to wrap sandwiches in. Just cut off the top and wrap.

Rachel Ann said...

Question for you...what does driving the speed limit have to do with celebrating Earth Day. I'm not being sarcastic, this is a serious question...because I read that I thought I miss be missing something.