Saturday, January 22, 2011

Bartering


So I thought I would try my hand at bartering.
Bartering you say?
Why yes! all the cool people do it.
But What does it mean?? here is the Wikipedia definition:

Barter is a method of exchange by which goods or services are directly exchanged for other goods or services without using a medium of exchange, such as money.[1] It is usually bilateral, but may be multilateral, and usually exists parallel to monetary systems in most developed countries, though to a very limited extent. Barter usually replaces money as the method of exchange in times of monetary crisis, such as when the currency may be either unstable (e.g., hyperinflation or deflationary spiral) or simply unavailable for conducting commerce.

So I thought I would try my hand at bartering recently since its sort of a form of recycling and being completely broke means I had to get creative.

My first attempt went pretty well. I posted an ad on Craigslist asking for books for Noah in exchange something and I let the people come to me with requests. Most people just offered to sell me their books so clearly the ad I posted wasn't clear enough. Then I stumbled across a gal needing baby stuff - jackpot! I have baby stuff so I traded her a small bag of clothing for 2 books for Noah. So I scored some books and she got some clothes for her baby. Obviously she made out better then I did, but that little baby needed clothes and no way was I going to turn it down!

Bartering attempt #2: this barter went off badly. So long story short I have a bunch of shampoo, conditioner, face cleaner and beyond. Seriously I do and honestly I won't even use them as much as I would like and they are not exactly environmentally happy. I was given the stuff to give away anyway so it works out great. So I post another ad on Craigslist in the barter section asking for some items in trade for the shampoo. This lady asks for a trade and I had listed somethings I wanted such as paint (for Hubby's projects), a tarp, etc. She apparently runs a clothing bank and products like I had were right up her alley. So I agreed to trade her some of my goods for her paint, a tarp and some dog blankets that I really didn't want but she insisted. Hubby ends up meeting with her and when I get home to go thru the stuff after trading a large box of my stuff for hers. *sigh* It was bad people. Her paint I was only able to salvage maybe 4 cans. The other cans were dried up and so old I couldn't do anything with them. Which means now I get to somehow dispose of them. Lovely huh?

The dog blankets one fell apart after washing it in pieces in my washer and the other 2 were so stinky I don't even think a shelter will take them. The tarp was the only saving grace. She said it was new. It wasn't. I clearly got the shaft.

So I told her in an email that I felt like she jipped me and I'm stuck holding dried up paint and stinky blankets. She doesn't even apologize nor does she blink and wants to know what else can she trade for more stuff. Because she didn't get it I basically just ignored her emails and pictures of yet more junk in exchange for my goods. I should also mention that I gave her 2 large boxes of clothes for her clothing bank. which she pointed out all the stuff was gone when I wrote her the email telling her she gave me junk. As if I would ask for it back! Please!

So I have now learned that bartering while it can work, sometimes you can be left holding the bag - or in this case, the empty paint cans. But I'm not giving up yet. I know there are more honest people out there who truly WILL barter correctly.

And as for Hubby he was properly versed to LOOK at items being traded and not just blindly take stuff just because I'm not there.

Here's to more bartering, but this time why don't you try and let me know how it goes! here are some other sites that you can look into either exchanging services or bartering.

u-exchange

trashbank

caretotrade

Picture from THIS website...

No comments: