Saturday, June 9, 2012

Off the Brand

Because my hubby is still out of work and won't be graduating school until Aug this summer I'm looking for all ways to cut costs and just go off the "brand."
A lot of people live off the grid and while I can't quite afford that yet I have decided to try harder every day to live off the brand which is my hooky way of saying I don't want any more brand names for purchased items but instead make my own.
In most cases making your own items like soaps, detergents, foods it is a lot cheaper then purchasing a name brand.  Heck if you can make your own Mayonnaise why not make everything else right?!?!  (Ok I haven't made my own mayonnaise yet don't hold me to that)

So last night I decided that I wanted to make my own dishwasher detergent.
After searching Google for the best commented on recipe with the most tips I decided to go with the recipe on One Good Thing by Jillee.
Her's had the original recipe she had posted but then revised it months later.  I like that - tells me she kept at it and perfected her recipe.  Plus she had a TON of comments and suggestions from readers of her blog.  I love to Internet for this EXACT thing - tried and true comments. 

I spent about $12 buying all the goods to make it and I made 2 batches once I did a load and liked how the dishes looked once it was done.
Obviously I don't normally spend $12 on dish soap and this recipe from what I gathered figures you spend about $0.06-$0.10 per load.  I'm sure I could spend about that for a generic version of dish detergent at Walmart but again - I want to get away from branding.  
If you decide you do not like this detergent it also doubles as scouring powder which I did try out on my sink and it did a pretty good job!

Powdered Dishwasher Detergent/Scouring Powder:
* 1 cup Washing soda or Baking soda (I’ve seen many recipes that use both..so use whatever you have on hand or a combination of the two.)


* 1 cup Borax (Borax and baking soda/wash are both natural disinfectants and mild abrasives.)


* 1/4 cup Kosher salt (reduces the effects of hard water)


* 1/4 cup citric acid (As an alternative you can use the same amount of Fruit Fresh or two packets of Lemonade-Flavored Kool-Aid, ONLY lemon and ONLY unsweetened!)


Quick tip: I found Citric Acid in the Canning aisle at my grocery store. 

Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of this mixture to your dishwasher detergent compartment along with 3 drops of  liquid dish soap. Do not use more than three drops. The dishwasher will overflow if you use too much dish soap!


Then splash 1/2 to 1 cup of white vinegar into the bottom of the dishwasher and start the machine.

Once I finished the recipe I just threw everything into a Tupperware type container with the recipe and a measuring scoop inside.
Hopefully my son will remember to add the vinegar and the liquid dish soap!!!! 
I read thru the comments on her site and one person noted you don't have to add the dish soap every load if you put if where most dishwashers allow for Jet Dry.  I will keep you posted on that idea.

Best part is this recipe has no phosphates in it!!! 
So its safe to use in the good ol' State of WA where phosphates are not so great to our lakes.

Hope this helps you cut costs on your dish soap and maybe you will want to join me in my de-branding of my home.  I love the idea of seeing items w/out a ton of brand names cluttering up my pantry or kitchen.  Sounds like i need to buy more glass to keep my items in!  I love that look!


No comments: