Tuesday, October 23, 2007

I'm Changing...

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!"

That is a direct quote from my friend Kirsten's Grandma and I love how simply she puts it. Speaks right to not only being thrifty, but to my whole new "green" lifestyle.


So you are probably wondering what I mean by the title of this post. Well, I'm changing and I can't believe how quick I'm changing. The bible says in Romans 12:2 to not be like this world and to change how you think to what God thinks.
I honestly think I'm finally starting to see life like that now.


The more I educate myself about this whole new Green lifestyle I'm living I'm finding the world is really a bigger place and that God loves all this little Children. Visting the Philippines helped me see the world in a whole new light as well now, but it wasn't just that.


I feel like I finally grew up in a sense about this world we live in. yes, we do live in a BIG world, but at the same time I feel like the world is getting smaller the more I learn about it. And I'm not talking about the polar caps melting (because honestly I don't read about that stuff--I know you can gasp now!)


Now when I shop I really stop and think about what I'm buying. I mean really stop and think. I'm finding I read more labels about where a product was made in now. I never used to do that. In fact, when I did work at Old Navy in the past I used to tease and joke about the "poor little sweatshop children" that made our clothes there.
(OK Ok ok, PLEASE note that part of this blog is to help me "confess" to my previous issues/problems/downright sins!!!! I'm not a perfect person by any means and I have since realized the error of my ways and absolutely regret saying that in the past.....)


Now when I read a label I truly think about where it came from and who made it....and sadly it has killed my desire to shop anymore. Technically this is a good thing, not a bad thing. This will help me save A LOT of money in the end. Does a label mean I won't buy anymore? Nah. It doesn't stop me, but it STOPS me to think about what I'm doing, who am I impacting, etc.

I'm glad that I'm growing up about the things in this world. I don't want to sit in my little corner of the world known as Puyallup, WA and never think about the children suffering over in Africa or anywhere else or that matter! (Shout out to Karen for opening up my mind in the area of adoption in other countries again! Blessings for you new baby girl soon to come to WA!!)

Its the stopping and thinking that brings me back to Romans 12:2. I have "renewed my mind" about this world we live in. I truly believe that this is only the beginning of what I can put my mind to now. I never for once thought I would be this person who I'm today.
Am I perfect?
Do I have life whipped?
Uh, No not by any means.

But I'm starting to Care. It takes a lot to care about what happens around you and in your world. I used to say I cared but I never really tried to show I cared. Now I can see that God truly wants us to Love His People and his creations. His biggest creation being people!

Can I make a difference in this world? Sure. Any of us can. But I'm more glad that its made a difference in my thinking habits. This is what God really wanted for my life right now anyway I'm sure! It took awhile, but I'm glad he came thru. Or should I say He's glad I came thru finally! LOL! Yeah, that's probably what He's thinking!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marcie, I found your blog about a month ago and have been watching you write. I really appreciate your viewpoint, and wanted to let you know that I've added a link to your site on our blog, A Generous People. Keep up the good work - both your writing and going "green".