Thursday, February 28, 2008

Freegans

So obviously this is a hot topic right now since it was featured on Oprah yesterday. ( I didn't watch it, my friend called me to tell me about it & I watched it via my DVR. can't be breaking my TV fast!)
Freegans. What are they? Well, they describe themselves as this according to their website, Freegan.info

"Freegans are people who employ alternative strategies for living based on limited participation in the conventional economy and minimal consumption of resources. Freegans embrace community, generosity, social concern, freedom, cooperation, and sharing in opposition to a society based on materialism, moral apathy, competition, conformity, and greed." (Freegan.info website)

Bravo!

Although this lifestyle is difficult to live, their principles are obviously spot on. Freegans are those people you see rooting thru the trash & no they are not homeless. Freegans believe in not buying anything to the greatest degree possible. It is a little difficult to stomach when you watch it, but its unreal what they find. Things in their original packaging and thrown out days before the expiration date.

I know what you are thinking, "Oh dear. Marcie has totally gone off the deep end here." Not saying I'm going to become a freegan. Here in WA its actually illegal to root thru people's trash or a buisnesses trash. So honestly I can't, but I've dumpster dived before. I mean I have an awesome chair we recovered from a dumpster and a little new padding & fabric and its as good as new. Of course, it wasn't IN the dumpster it was next to it, but who cares it was free.

It is very interesting how some people live when it comes to this lifestyle.

To see the Oprah show concerning Freegans, please click here. You'll actually be shocked to see what people throw out.

1 comment:

Rachel Ann said...

LOL...sorry, just a mental picture of you dressed in Ninja Black to disguise yourself as you go dumpster diving for food that is in its original container but not expired!! I know you WOULD NEVER do this, but the thought is still funny.