These are some really neat facts from the Storyofstuff.com which I have posted about before. Its an online film narrated by Annie Leonard that tells of the journey of our stuff from extraction to production to distributation , consumption and disposal. You can learn more about her story of stuff at the link above in bold or on YouTube.
- 1/3 Amount of Earth's natural resources that have been mined, chopped, blown up or otherwise extracted in the past 3 decades alone.
- 5 Percentage of earth's population living in the US (yet american's use up to 30% of the world's resources and create 30% of the worlds waste)
- 3 to 5 Number of extra planets we would need if everyone consumed at American rates.
- 99 Percentage of stuff we harvest, mine, transport, or otherwise prodcue that is trashed w/in 6 months. (many products designed for the dump)
- 3000 Number of advertisements targeted at American consumers each day.
- 4.5 Pounds of garbage each American makes each day (twice as much as we made 30 yrs ago)
Makes you think you know? Crazy but as always eye opening.