Friday, January 16, 2009

Mythic Paint


So hubby and I had to remodel our master bathroom due to a little mold problem. Yeah, Washington is notorious for mold being that we are kinda wet around here. Long story short the fan vent came unattached in the attic and the fan was just pushing moisture all over the crawl space, but specifically right above our shower where it fell. Which resulted in some fancy mold that grew ALL over the place.

Ick.

Hubby does construction and drywall is what he does all day so out the bathroom came. We got ourselves free drywall that is extra moisture resistant from a job site where they were going to THROW IT AWAY!! Can you believe it?! UGH the waste places go thru.

Then he had another friend who let us take some extra insulation he had just chillin in his garage for free might I add?
THEN on Craigslist we found a bunch of free neutral tile from an auction place that was moving and didn't want to haul it. Scored us some really nice tile including some travertine tiles that look like little mosaics. That stuff is $$$ in real life.
I know you are thinking that none of that stuff is very eco-friendly. No I didn't score myself some recycled glass tiles or denim insulation, but it was stuff people were going to just throw away and for me thats living Green too. Keep it out of the landfills.
BUT I did want to do one thing eco-friendly and for that I decided to try the Mythic Paint I had seen in every eco magazine and website. I finally found a retailer here in Puyallup that sold it so I didn't have to go to Seattle to get it. (Ace Hardware sells it by the way, Home Depot/Lowes those guys do not) BUT if you cannot find Mythic at your local retailer well they just happen to sell it online with FREE shipping. OMGOSH could this company get ANY better???
I was overwhelmed at the choices of color. We are talking a TON of colors--and every color imaginable. They have a 1,232-color palette which is fantastic. The best part was instead of those little tiny color samples they had big ones--almost the size of a piece of paper--for FREE. Some paint companies charge you for a large paint sample! Which is really silly if you ask me, but I'm cheap.
But what is Mythic paint you ask? Well from their words not mine at their website: "Mythic®paint is a non-toxic, ultra low odor paint that provides the durability and coverage you expect from a premium paint without the off-gassing VOC’s and cancer-causing toxins that emit years after drying. Stronger, safer, smarter paint®. Now that’s a breath of fresh air."
What are VOC's? Well, "Some VOCs are greenhouse gases and therefore contribute to global warming and others are just plain bad for your health. While a few VOCs occur naturally from cows and trees, many come from manufactured products such as paint thinners, paints and varnishes and dry cleaning solvents. These VOCs contribute to human illnesses and have been determined to be a cause of ‘sick building syndrome’. The EPA has found concentrations of VOCs in indoor air to be 2 to 5 times greater than in outdoor air due to paint and other products. "
Not what you want hanging around your house! Especially a house with kids!!
They also offer every type of paint under the sun as well: Flat, Eggshell, Drywall Primer, Multi-Purpose Primer, Semi-Gloss, High-Gloss, Exterior Satin & Exterior Semi-Gloss.
So its not cheap. I'm not going to lie. It was fairly $$$ and I almost keeled over when I saw the price tag, but who can put a price on your families health? Especially when we spend a lot of time in our bathrooms! SO I sucked it up and bought it. And we bought the Primer too.
It looks fantastic.
But the best part was it did not smell. To even get a whiff of the paint smell I had to stick my face close to the paint to even find a paint smell. It was very very unreal. You could just tell it was healthier then other paints! It had great coverage and the colors were gorgeous. It was worth the cost in the end.
From now on I will buy Mythic paint when I need to paint another room...yes this is a shameless plug in hopes someone from Mythic will send me a coupon or something! Please Mythic contact me and I will shower you with praise!!
Tell me if you've tried it and if you are considering doing a paint job just break down and buy Mythic--You won't regret it. I'll be posting pictures soon of our Paint job so you can see the colors we choose. I choose one in a Ebony and one in a very pretty blue/green color as an accent. I'll keep you posted on our bathroom remodel as well and let you know if we add any other green options!
Again for more information about Mythic Paint, check out their website at mythicpaint.com.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that the word is getting out on just how awful paint is for your health. I just redid my bathroom and used a FANTASTIC 0 VOC paint, YOLO Colorhouse. I used to use Benjamin Moore for everything, not anymore! :)