Friday, January 16, 2009

No More Wal-Mart

So my friend Heidi has been forever trying to get me to stop shopping at Wal-Mart and I'm not going to deny that I have and did shop at Wal-Mart oh about 2x a week if not more.
But all the nagging suspicions I had about them were revealed in the Documentary I watched this weekend. (see trailer from YouTube)

While I know that any large major corporation can be frowned upon like many do to Wal-Mart and I agree its sad they get blamed for so much. However, because Wal-Mart is the biggest chain currently its going to hold that spot for some time. But the biggest clincher for me is how they treat their employees and just how unfair some of their practices are. It truly made me think...and then remember that if I'm willing to say No to buying things made in other countries because of how they are treated I need to do the same for my fellow American's working at Wal-Mart because they matter to.
This is not going to be easy for me. I'm not going to deny that I enjoy Wal-Mart's prices because well just like the poster says, their prices are low. And low is what I need sometimes. But I'm going to try to stop. So far its been almost a week of not shopping there. thats a vast improvement.
not to mention I'll probably save money because I justify my purchases there because they are SO cheap at times. You can't beat clothes for a $1....but again....now I've seen the lady in China that made my shirt and now it just seems to real. Reality about things can be beyond eye opening--it can also be life changing.
I did go to the store this week and instead of Wal-Mart I found milk on discount at Safeway so I think it evened out the cost I would have saved at Wal-Mart.
I challenge you to see the documentary and then form you own opinion after that. If you need to shop at Wal-mart because of the savings then by all means please do. I would never judge someone on the account of just trying to feed their families.
Personally though, limiting myself away from major corporations such as Wal-Mart, Target, Home Depot and the list goes on and instead favoring the local business should be what I do as a whole anyway. I shouldn't be preaching to shop locally when I'm still technically shopping "globally" if I shop at the major stores. Time to practice what I preach.

1 comment:

global daughter said...

Kudos Marcie! I have been anti-Walmart as long as I can remember. This documentary is eye opening and I think everyone should see it. It is so important to be socially conscious consumers where we can be!