Saturday, February 7, 2009

Food Waste Update

Food Waste Reduction Challenge - February 2009

Crunchy started this challenge this month, but I started mine a little earlier due to not knowing she was starting it in Feb!
So far the Food Waste Reduction Challenge has been interesting for me. Because I have stopped shopping at Wal-Mart I don't grocery shop as often so we are finding food we didn't think we had. Now the freezer is our friend and we are trying to drain all our food before it goes bad and before we need to hit the stores.
In the past we had to do a compost bin run nearly everyday, now its not as often.
I'm more aware of what is going to go bad and being mindful of the food I have on hand. I'm still buying fresh food, but I'm just being more aware of using it before I just let it rot in the rotter. (aka: the crisper in your fridge)

All in all this is a great challenge. Really made me aware and its helped me save $$ as well. Because I am having to pay closer attention to what food I have on hand or in the fridge I'm not eating out as much and we're not having to go grocery shopping as often. Because of all that, I'm only about $500 away from paying off one of my bills. Yay!
Hey, every little bit helps!
I do need to hit up Costco today. Gotta watch what I put in the cart so it doesn't end up in the compost.

No comments: