Monday, February 8, 2010

First CSA Delivery

It finally came last week and I was waiting to write about it so I could actually taste what was in my box!
And here it is!



My box contained as you can see:
2 Lemons
3 Pears
3 Oranges
3 Applies
Radishes
Red Leaf Lettuce
Carrots
1 Cucumber
Tiny Tomatoes
Cauliflower
Cilantro

OH the best part was the Cilantro!! Oh its amazing and it was so big and healthy. Still eating it nearly daily right now. This is the "Small" box when I order from Terra-Organics which as you may recall is a local CSA delivery service.
I forgot to mention that all of the item are Organic and as much as they can from local farms. Obviously some stuff is not local, but in the paper they include with your delivery they have the miles your food traveled. Most of my food was from WA to California with the Tomatoes being the farthest away in Mexico.
On our little paper was recipes to use the Cilantro as it was the special "featured" item in our box this week and tips on how to store it.

I think this is going to be a match made in heaven. For one I hate to shop for produce. I'm one of those people who wish someone would do it for me and while I love to support local, its hard to do that sometimes when the Farmers Market is not in season. My box only cost me $25 and to me that is a great deal for Organic, local produce AND Free delivery included in your cost.

Each week your box is different and they email what is in your box that coming week. Their website is extremely user friendly and you can even opt out of any veggies or fruits that you don't want to see come in your box (no thanks Bok-choy!).
And if you DO have an issue with items that came from too far away they have an all Washington items box so you only get what is locally within the state for the season we are in.

I will continue to let you know what my box is like each week. So far we haven't polished it all off, but Noah did eat all the fruit (except the lemons) in about a week. For that, I'm super happy about.

here's to happy organic eating everyone!!

PS. if you ARE in my area and want to try out Terra-Organics let me know as I think I get a Finders Fee ;) Hey, I like Free stuff just like everyone else!

No comments: