Thursday, June 17, 2010

Oil dependance or just a bad disaster?

Ok ... here goes
I would rather not be one of the zillions of people who want to voice their opinion on this oil spill crisis, but I feel like I need to say something.
I'll admit I drive so clearly I use oil. I'm not a shining example of someone who strives to use as little oil as possible - I do what I can, but I do drive so I won't win any arguments on that side.
But what I'm frustrated about with people is their choice to just start pointing fingers at BP chastising them for off shore drilling and safety and on and on and on.
We get it.
Off shore drilling is clearly a disaster waiting to happen, but we have them all over and now people want to take notice?
Its like fair weather protesting in my opinion.
But we forget about the other things that we as a society use that contain oil - even us "greenies." Its not just for our cars anymore. Oil is in more then I think any of us even knows or WANTS to know about. Here is a list here, here and here.
Doesn't it amaze you that the things we use everyday contain oil and I mean petroleum oil like what is leaking in the Gulf of Mexico. We as a society are so dependant on petroleum is almost mind blowing.
Can you imagine trying to survive without pain pills?
Yep, they have oil in them. And here we are worrying about the safety of seafood from the Gulf -- too late you already ingested oil today more then likely in cough syrup or when you rubbed Vaseline on you.
Scary isn't it?
Go look at those lists people!!
Be educated about ALL that we use with oil - its not just our cars.
I also want to say after listening to the president give his address to the nation after speaking with the BP execs, that Mr. Obama I'm sorry when you said this: "The one answer I will not settle for is the idea that this challenge is somehow too big and too difficult to meet. You know, the same thing was said about our ability to produce enough planes and tanks in World War II. The same thing was said about our ability to harness the science and technology to land a man safely on the surface of the moon. And yet, time and again, we have refused to settle for the paltry limits of conventional wisdom. " The comparison of our ability to produce enough planes and tanks for WWII doesn't compare to the damaging effects on an eco-system. This is world altering -- and not something we can just repair or build.
When an animal goes extinct its a bit bigger deal then building a tank. I hope it won't come to that, but looking at these animals and seeing tons of animals of the sea wash up on shore breaks my heart. And no I don't put animals before people -- I'm not going there. I'm just pointing out that when a fish breathes its last breath because of our greed for oil I feel partially responsible. That fish could have fed someone or fed another animal in the sea -- its an ongoing cycle.
This is bigger then putting a man on the moon.
I don't think what to think anymore.
However, I want to see it.
In some sick way I want to witness the devastation that my own greed for oil has brought upon the Gulf of Mexico. I don't think I will get to see it anytime soon, but I'd like to help in some way. This is a big deal -- its EPIC.
What are your thoughts?
Or do you even care anymore?

No comments: