Thursday, May 17, 2012

I'm Baaaacccccck!!!

I'm back friends of Puyallup who want to live life with a Purpose!
I know I have been gone for a LONG time (basically a year to be exact) but I need to get back on the wagon again as I have missed writing but also have missed living a lifestyle that has purpose.

I have been reading a book called, "Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God" by Francis Chan and although I'm only a few chapters into the book I can say that it has no only rekindled my interest in living a more sustaniable lifestyle but also made me really think hard about the things I'm passionate about and why.

I'm finding that more and more during the day I'm thinking about giving to others and how I can give back.  I am naturally a giver about my things that I have and I enjoy giving people things which is evident in some of my past posts, but I feel like I'm not doing enough to give MORE of myself.

I realize that God has instilled that feeling in me because he is a God who loves to give and give ABUNDANTLY.  Now mind you, I'm not talking about a Sugar Daddy God - I'm not one that lives and breathes by the "prosperity movement" in any way shape or form.  But I do believe wholeheartedly that we are to go and give to those in the world because God would want us to.

I have also caught myself thinking about all the "stuff" I have and how rich, filthy rich - I'm when compared to others in the world.  According to Global Rich List (an tool that shows where you stack up against the rest of the world based on your yearly income) I'm in the top 4.91% of the Richest People in the world based on my yearly income of $34000 a year. 
They go on and point out a few awesome statistics that I love:

$8 could buy you 15 organic apples OR 25 fruit trees for farmers in Honduras to grow and sell fruit at their local market.

$30 could buy you an ER DVD Boxset OR a First Aid kit for a village in Haiti.

$73 could buy you a new mobile phone OR a new mobile health clinic to care for AIDS orphans in Uganda.

$2400 could buy you a second generation High Definition TV OR schooling for an entire generation of school children in an Angolan village.
Those types of stats about what I could buy with $8 or $30 or $73 is what I love. I so desperately want to be a part of this type of stuff.  Lately, when I consider what I do spend my $$ on and how it doesn't really benefit me or someone else....I have really started to stop and think.  God would really want me to help get  school to a child in an Angolan Village because it helps those in need and the poor.  God meant some serious business when it came to the poor and widows:

Luke 3:10-11 ESV

Seems so basic but yet so difficult when we think about giving to those around us.....I added a link for the Global Rich List here on the Right hand side of my blog. Check it out!
See how you can help AND how rich you really are.

No comments: