Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Means a little bit More...


"And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes, or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled 'til his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more." ~ Dr. Seuss

Dr. Seuss had it SO right on with his Grinch story...and considering it was written in 1957 it sends a very clear message to us today.

I personally really enjoy the Grinch story mostly because it points out that Christmas is about so much more and because the Grinch GAVE he in turn changed. Sure he gave them back their things, but he gave himself too.

This Christmas is so different for us. Knowing that I won't show up at my Mom or Dads with gifts in tow feels a little different, but at the same time its relieving too. I didn't go into Debt this year, didn't go shopping and fight the crowds once and made extra efforts to give feels so good. I think my heart grew 2 sizes this year as well!

While I did get a lot of weird stares at work when I rolled in with my 15 presents for the Toys 4 Tots drive I didn't care. It was for the kids and I know I'll be blessed 10x over by knowing they will truly enjoy those toys. My reward is not important. Just seeing how blessed the one family was when we gave her a turkey for Thanksgiving just warms my heart and keeps me going. I hope we can pump all this giving up as years go on.

The other night Noah was telling me about a Christmas Story that Warm 106.9 played on the radio (they grant Christmas wishes and then air them) about a family that had rough year and didn't even have Thanksgiving or anything for Christmas. He said, "They have her a tree and ornaments AND $500! That's pretty neat." He also said it was really sad and we should have given her a turkey too. I think he's getting it. And for me, if Noah "gets it" that's all that matters to me!

So be blessed this year and BE a blessing to others. Because seriously, "..perhaps it means a bit more."

No comments: